The Wendy Brook Festival held their 38th Annual event on April 6 with over 140 in attendance. In addition to highlighting the amazing young talent in the Vegreville area, this is the second year that the event was broadcast over the radio courtesy of Country 106.5 FM and Perogies and Jam.
The Wendy Brook Music Festival goes back to 1961 with the annual Wendy Brook Carol Concert which has continued for 26 years. The Wendy Brook Women’s Institute was the driving force since 1979 when they started the Music Festival. The Rotary Club was a major contributor starting in 1986 for many years and then in 1999, the Wendy Brook Committee took over the leadership. The Vegreville community has had a strong commitment to the music community and this continues to this day as evidenced by the many volunteers, sponsors and contributors. Anna Tomyn organized the event as the current President and Peter Dobie was the Emcee for the evening.
At 7:00 pm, Emcee Peter Dobie welcomed the audience to this event and “O Canada” was led by Debbie Fedoruk who was accompanied by Viola Braun-Fox on piano. The performers for the evening were:
- Daeson Ferguson (Piano Solo – “Spider’s Web” by Linda Niamath)
- Julia Dolejsi (Vocal – “God Help the Outcasts” by Alan Menken)
- Jaylen Zhang (Cello – “Minuet No. 1” by J.S. Bach)
- Austin Ezio & Lane Gladys (Vocal Duet – “Zuchok” by Vesnyanky)
- Calder Langkow & Maxim Rudyk (Recitation – “Punk Skunks” by Trisha Speed Shaskan)
- Mackenzie Olynyk, Samantha Tkacyk and Rachel Wynnyk (Acapella – “My Muzykanty z Kyeva”)
- Alicia Badenhorst (Piano Solo – “Echoes of November” by Stephen Chatman)
- Aaron Mills (Poetry Solo – “Clarence” by Shel Silverstein)
- Barbara Rybchuk (Vocal – “A Blackbird Singing” by Michael Head),
- Grade 5 Ukrainian Bilingual A.L. Horton (Acapella – “Bozhe Velekyj”)
- Tristan Neil (Vocal – “Watermelon Seller” by Aubrey Beswick)
- Owen Pasay (Piano Solo – “Zigzag” by Dennis Alexander)
- Shade Clark (Violin – Medley of “Sydney” by Calvin Vollrath, “Running Shoe” by Calvin Vollrath, and “Marie Claire” by Jerry Holland) accompanied by Jennifer Deforest on guitar.
- Claudia Lillies (Vocal & Piano – “We Dance” by S. Frizzell Getzinger & A. Cooke)
- Vegreville United Church Junior Hand Bell Choir (“Creation” by Haydn, arranged by D. Linda Mckechnie and a German Folk Song, Arranged by D. Linda Mckechnie)
- Sadie Kuzio & Gavin Worobec (Vocal Duet – “Choven Khytayetsya”)
- Kristen Baldwin (Vocal & Piano – “Tides” by Kristen Baldwin)
- Dylan Vadnais (Poetry Vocal – “The Cremation of Sam McGee” by Robert Service)
- Christina Nawrot (Piano Solo – “Etude” by Dmitri Kabalevsky)
- VCHS Senior Jazz Band (11 members led by Maureen Yule – “Scat Cat” by Chris Sharp and “The Defibrillator” by Adrien Re)
- Winnifred Lange (Poetry Solo – Forgiven a.k.a. “Alexander Beetle” by A.A. Milne)
- VCHS Vocal Ensemble (Acapella – “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen)
Between the five sets this evening, Viola Braun-Fox announced the awards and sponsors of each of the categories. At the end of the evening, Emcee Peter Dobie congratulated all the performers for showcasing their talent.
Perogies and Jam are pleased to have contributed to this event this year. Thanks go to Anna Tomyn, Wendy Brook Chairperson, Jamieson Brown of Country 106.5 FM and Ralph Arndt of A. L. Horton School for their support and able assistance. Perogies and Jam volunteers for this evening event included Byron James, Ralph Lange, Randy Kereliuk, and Don Harfield as the sound technicians, and Rob Hughes as the photographer.
Perogies and Jam were pleased to have sponsored the Community Music Award to the United Church Junior Handbells this year.
The Wendy Brook Music Festival relies on its many volunteers who selflessly give of their time throughout the year and especially during the months of January through April to make this event a success and a credit to our community. Please go to website http://wendybrookmusic.wix.com/wendybrook for more information. Thanks everyone!
Photographs by Rob Hughes