Perogies and Jam was pleased to help the VegMin Learning Society with the first Vegreville’s Got Talent show at the Social Centre on March 23, 2017. Jamieson Brown of Country 106 was the Emcee for the evening which started at 6:30 pm. Perogies and Jam provided the sound system and the sound technicians were Byron James and Randy Kereliuk at this special event. Photographs were taken by Suzanne Malo. There were numerous people involved in the organizing committee: Board Members – Derek Christensen, Beverly Aberhart, Nick Chrapko and Dwayne Hlady along with past board member/current volunteer Lisa Topilko and staff Heather MacDonald and Holly Cependa.
Starting off the evening, Executive Director Holly Cependa provided a description of the VegMin Learning Society’s learning and literacy programs within Vegreville and the County of Minburn. While the performers were on stage, there were eight “chefs” in the kitchen (supervised by Chef Dwayne Hlady) preparing hors d’oeuvres for sampling by the attendees.
The following performers showcased their talent on stage to the appreciation of approx. 200 in attendance.
- Jaylen Zhang setting up and starting “The Ultimate Domino Effect”
- Ethan Veeneman singing “You Raise Me Up”
- Cailyn Demptster singing “Happy Ever After”
- Cale Gladys playing the “Dump Truck Waltz” on piano
- Khurnam Shaikh presenting a short speech “Space”
- Abdullah Shaikh presenting a short speech “Uncool Parents Rule”
- The Red Jade Martial Arts group demonstrating their martial arts skills
- Dahlia Gladys singing the Ukrainian song “Bozja Velke”
- Alexandria Dodsworth singing “Funny Valentine”
- The United Church Junior Handbells performing a handbell instrumental
- Nolia Jarvis singing a song “Rise Up”
- Tristan Neil singing “Watermelon Seller”
- Vegreville Reader’s Theatre performing a story reading “I Know and Old Teacher”
- Local band Da’Vision by Zero performing a song “I’m Not Shook”
At the end of the evening, recognition awards were provided based on “People’s Choice”.
Perogies and Jam appreciates the opportunity to support this important event in our community. Perogies and Jam is committed to developing an enduring live music scene in Vegreville by cultivating local music talent.
Photos by Suzanne Malo